Wednesday, October 24, 2012

DIY diaper cake

I've been waiting to post this because it was supposed to be a surprise. Sadly, the diaper cake didn't make it to the shower. It did however make its way to the bestie's hospital room.
 
She had her little boy at 29 weeks!! Mama and bebe are doing well. Thank goodness! Now on to the cake.
 
 
 
I used size one diapers and a bag of rubber bands. Of course you could use any size you like. Just remember different brands roll to different sizes. I wish I'd thought of this BEFORE I started. Hehe. Oh well, all's well that ends well.
 
 

My supplies
 
 
Diapers all rolled up
 
1. Lay diapers face down and roll. Place a small rubber band. For this size cake I used 3 packages of size one diapers. Continue until finished.
 
2. Take a moment to appreciate the insane amount of diaper that you just rolled. I was amazed! Ha ha.
 
3.  As you can see in the second photo I have a toilet paper tube. I used this to make the rounds. Take a large rubber band and place it on the tube. Then take diapers and put them in a circle around the tube held tight by the rubber band. For a larger circle use a larger rubber band. Or for a smaller a smaller band.
 
4. Make three rounds. One small, one medium, and one large.
 
 
Photoboy admiring my handy work. He decided it needed a candle since it's a "cake".
 
5. After you've gotten the rounds completed, stack them one on top of the other.
 
6. Add ribbon around each round to hide the rubber band.
 
 
Completed cake
 
You can add embellishments like the paci clip I added to the top. Other things you could add are teddy bears, blankets, washcloths, etc. I've seen them done many different ways.
 
 
Tip: When carrying cake, be sure to place it on something. I made the mistake of carrying it as is, and the bottom layer fell apart in the parking garage of the hospital. Oops! Needless to say the cake didn't look quite so pretty.
 
 
 
I hope you enjoy making your diaper cake. Please share any pics if you decide to make one. I enjoy seeing other's work  :)
 
 
~Rachel
 
 







 


No comments: