Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Bittersweet Day

Today was a bittersweet day for me.  It was the first time my husband had to miss a birthday party for one of our children.  Thanks to Hurricane Sandy he's been called out to help bring back power to those in New York. 
 
I'm immensely proud of him, but I just want to break down and cry today.  After all the family had gone for the night, and the kids were in bed I felt the loneliness creep up on me. Even though I'm completely exhausted from a day of nonstop running around I couldn't sleep if I wanted.  The house is too, too quiet. Funny how one thing changes and the entire vibe of a place is changed. 
 
Superman and I have been married for almost 7 years now. Today marks the first time we've ever been so far apart. Don't get me wrong we've had some time apart here and there over the years. Never have we been states away.  I feel my heart aching.
 
 
HRH did not feel her daddy's absence today, thankfully. She romped and played with her cousins and brothers. All in all her party was a success. A great big thanks to my wonderful family for being here.
 
 
And thank you to the Kroger bakery woman who made this outstanding smash cake. When I ordered it, I expected just something to match her cake. I expected something in the same color scheme icing wise. This wonderful lady found the Cinderella topper and thought it'd make a lovely smash cake. I almost cried at her sweetness. How often do you see someone go out of their way like that?  Not too often!
 
So with all my thanks given and my tears shed perhaps now I'll be able to sleep.  I doubt it will come to me easily with only half my heart.  Good night all. Hug your love tight!
 
~Rachel


No comments: