Wednesday, October 31, 2012

More than Halloween

Today is more than just Halloween to me. Today is the day my darling little girl was born.  My princess is my rainbow baby. For those who haven't heard the term, a rainbow baby is a baby after a loss. Kind of like the rainbow after the storm.
 
 
HRH is now one! It is astounding to me that a year has passed already. Last year I had just delivered her in the car and was settled in at the nearest hospital basking with my family in the beauty of my daughter. Superman was wrapped from moment one. Here's our little story.
 
 
At three A.M. last year, I woke up with painful contractions. After being in false labor off and on for about two weeks, I knew it was time.  I timed them for about a half an hour then I woke my husband to tell him it was time to go. He thought timing contractions for another half hour would be smart. I guess after being sent home from the hospital a couple of times you get skeptical. Hehe.
 
At four the contractions had amped up, so it was wake the boys and call the parents. We were off to have a baby.  Our hospital was roughly an hour away. Being a stubborn woman, I wanted HRH to be born with the doctors I'd used for all my pregnancies despite our moving away.  The family still teases me for this. 
 
Halfway to the hospital, I tell Superman that we need to stop at the hospital that is closer and on the way. HRH was not waiting! Two minutes and a stop sign later, I yelled at him to pull over she was coming NOW! He said, "Don't push we can make it." Ummmm, I'm not pushing dear; she's just doing it on her own!  He whips into the fire station with the phone to his ear and in no time is at my door. From start to finish my labor was one hour and forty-seven minutes.
 
I watched as Superman was in awe of her and wrapped his brand new sixty dollar shirt around her messy little body. Then all of the firefighter/EMTs came out of the firehouse and got myself and HRH into the ambulance. My boys were a bit dumbfounded in the back seat. SB told me I needed to not scream in the car. Gotta love that kid. Haha.
 
 
In the ambulance, four (yes four EMTs were there. Waibel says its a big thing for them to get a birth) grown men huddled around my tiny little girl working to clean her up.  My mom, sister, mother-in-law and her brother all met us at the hospital shortly thereafter.  It was a hectic and blessed day.
 
 
Today, I'll probably just take tons of pictures and snuggle with my girl. Nothing quite as exciting as her birth but that's just fine by me. Her party will be this weekend and then we will settle back into normal life.
 
 
Happy birthday to my darling girl!
 
 
~Rachel

No comments: